Monday, June 22, 2009

This is What I Told Him

When Justin brought up the notion of not finishing, I gave him tough love.

I told him I wouldn't pick him up from the airport if he changed his flight. I reminded him that he called me the “first loser” when I won second place. I said his body was just in shock from riding over a thousand miles—and God knows how much elevation—in nine days. I said his leg swelling would subside, his Achilles would loosen up, his knee pain would dull down and his mouthful of sores would end after his sugar intake did. Above all, I told him he would regret abandoning the race because he was doing so well.

He countered by saying he regretted not stopping to enjoy the mountains he climbed, “the flowers he pissed on,” the friends who came out to cheer him on. He would regret racing away a whole year’s worth of vacation. “What’s the point if I’m not having fun?” he asked.

I had no answer. And, really, who was I to force him to finish? I watched his SPOT move from the comforts of home—detached from this year's extreme weather, sleep-deprived nights, pain and suffering, and physical exhaustion. Some people would be disappointed he didn’t finish, but most of us could never comprehend the magnitude of his journey. Who were we to judge someone’s valiant attempt at living their dream when most of us are still chasing ours?

He’d made up his mind. So, I changed mine and offered my support.

Justin went out not to challenge the masters of the divide, but rather himself, he’d said in his letter of intent. And he did. He went out to experience the grand tour of mountain biking. And he did.

I told him to spend this next week doing the one intention he never made good on in his letter: Take it all in. I hope he does.

Life's too short to not enjoy the ride.



Day 10 Race Briefs:
-Josh Ficke (8th place, 2007) drops out

-John Nobile (Current GDR border-to-border record holder) drops out

-Kevin Dean drops out

-Steve McGuire drops out

-The Italians are caught cheating

-Deanna Adams has a seizure

-Justin Kline decides to tour

11 comments:

  1. i want the first post
    justin did the right thing starting the race and did the right thing realizing what was important to him **** soaking in what was around him and enjoying himself in the Great Outdoors **** which come to think of it thats probably why he started riding to begin with

    good luck rolling along
    the dark helmet
    also the almost as dark helmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for him Beth. This isn't a defeat by any stretch. In a way, he will get the best of both worlds having done the physical challenge AND being able to really drink in the scenery and the people.

    I'm proud of you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad justin made a decision for himself, this being a once in a lifetime thing, and so glad that you were able to support him in his decision! good girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone above. He's done a great job so far, and I can se him regretting pushing on more than he would regret taking some time to smell the roses.

    The reports I've heard haven't sounded all that much fun. Conditions seem to suck. I would have made this decision much earlier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin made a good judgement! We are all proud of him and I gotta a feeling that Friday is going to be a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey pink im waiting for another post

    dark helmet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth you couldn't have said it better!! step back, check it, realize that out of 6-7 BILLION people out there lil mister J went for and accomplished!! any judgement on him from anyone is an incredibly weeak minded individual who couldn't possibly sacrifice that beauty and pain all at the same time....do what your sweet girl said Justin,"take it all in"! well done and yes i still wish i was there with ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh its you

    congrats

    welcome back

    gor for the egg

    the dark helmet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I could be anymore proud of Justin! He did an amazing job and most people don't have the courage or determination to even attempt anything remotely like this. As Uncle Kurt aka "Dark Helmet" said... Grandmom and Grandaddy would be very proud!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  10. he's home safe and sound and swollen

    dark helmet

    ReplyDelete