Monday, June 15, 2009

Divide Days 1, 2 & 3

First, props to Princeton Tec for finding and posting the start of the race. Can you spot Justin’s Euro ensemble?



I’ll admit it. I’m addicted to the leaderboard. I didn’t even get out of bed this morning before I checked it. And when I clicked on Justin’s link, my heart sank. According to his SPOT, Justin hadn’t started riding yet and his individual page said he’d only ridden 184 miles in two days—not good. The little green tent on his map told me Justin had spent his second night in Roosville, MT. It was 8:00 a.m. there. Why wasn’t he pedaling yet? I thought incredulously. Wake up! I willed the sleeping dot on my laptop screen.

Five minutes later the cell phone rang and I heard Justin’s voice for the first time since he started the race. This is what I found out from the call:

He was awake(!) and currently in Eureka, MT, not Roosville. He started riding at 6:00 a.m., but hadn’t turned on his “tracker” yet. He rode 110 miles the first day, spent the night in Elkford, and rode 150 miles the second day. (The leaderboard isn’t calculating his total mileage correctly. A relief since it was reporting pretty slow progress!) A bad storm hit the first night, so Justin, Alan Goldsmith and others split a hotel room and separated from Jay and Tracey Petervary, the couple racing tandem, who pushed through the stormy night. The second day, yesterday, was “really hard,” he said. 150 miles of big climbs and hiking the bike over avalanche debris.

Justin is in good company at the moment, able to keep a similar pace with a few other riders. When he called, he was eating French toast with Steve Wilkinson, a Tour Divide racer who starred in this exuberant throwback from the 2007 race.



Right now it’s the end of the third day, and it looks like Justin is nearing Columbia Falls. Current leader Matthew Lee reported from Columbia Falls that there is a mile of snow-pack over Red Meadow Pass. Here’s hoping these guys don’t waver too much in the white stuff!

10 comments:

  1. Way to go Justin! Thanks for keeping us up to date Beth.

    I just realized that I'll be out in New Mexico right about the time Justin will be there - beginning of July.

    Oh, Toad called, he wants his radio station back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am living Justin's ride through your updates - Thank you for providing this! I made a promise to myself that *I will* ride this one day... maybe with Wynn even :)

    Give my best to J when you talk to him next, let him know that I am constantly daydreaming about his ride and wondering what awesome view he is experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the guys at the start line giving out important tips, like not eating in your campsite...

    I also thought the guys would take more gear with them.

    But, most importantly, I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is that Justin of all people is riding *soooo* much! I can only imagine the complaining that would be going on if any one of us were around to listen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. Toad!!!

    Glad you enjoy the updates; it's keeping me sane as well. ;)

    And Joe, you are sooo right. Haha. It wouldn't surprise me if Justin's bags are filled with beer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep going and catch the bloody grimace

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep th etoilet clogging to a minimum

    good luck from all of us

    ReplyDelete
  7. beth - any justin updates? looks like he stopped? just wondering if he's OK?

    ernesto

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ernesto!! Justin called in from Jackson on Sunday to say he'd rather spend the rest of his time out there touring the route instead of racing it. I wrote a few more posts about Justin & this race if you go to the pink helmet homepage.

    ReplyDelete